- 2 sheets butter puff pastry
- 1 1/4 cup (310g) ready-made vanilla custard
- 200 gram mascarpone
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 medium red-skinned apples (450g)
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon white (granulated) sugar
- pouring cream, to serve
- 1Grease a 24cm round loose-based fluted tart tin. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a tin. Lift pastry into tin, press into base and sides; trim excess pastry. Prick base with a fork. Cover; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 3Meanwhile, whisk custard, mascarpone, egg yolks, paste and cardamom in a small bowl until combined. Cover; refrigerate until chilled.
- 4Core and halve apples; slice thinly. Combine apple slices, caster sugar and juice in a medium bowl. Spread custard mixture into pastry case. Arrange apple slices slightly overlapping into rosette shapes, on custard mixture. Drizzle with any juices.
- 5Bake tart for 50 minutes or until pastry and apples are golden. Cool. Refrigerate about 1 hour. Sprinkle with white sugar before serving with cream.
Vanilla bean paste contains real vanilla bean seeds. It is highly concentrated, with 1 teaspoon of paste equaling 1 whole vanilla bean. Sold in tubes or small jars from most supermarkets. The tart shell can be made a day ahead; keep refrigerated. The tart is best cooked on day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019