- 2 sheets butter puff pastry
- 1 1/4 cup (310g) ready-made vanilla custard
- 200 gram mascarpone
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 medium red-skinned apples (450g)
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon white (granulated) sugar
- pouring cream, to serve
- 1Grease a 24cm round loose-based fluted tart tin. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a tin. Lift pastry into tin, press into base and sides; trim excess pastry. Prick base with a fork. Cover; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 3Meanwhile, whisk custard, mascarpone, egg yolks, paste and cardamom in a small bowl until combined. Cover; refrigerate until chilled.
- 4Core and halve apples; slice thinly. Combine apple slices, caster sugar and juice in a medium bowl. Spread custard mixture into pastry case. Arrange apple slices slightly overlapping into rosette shapes, on custard mixture. Drizzle with any juices.
- 5Bake tart for 50 minutes or until pastry and apples are golden. Cool. Refrigerate about 1 hour. Sprinkle with white sugar before serving with cream.
Vanilla bean paste contains real vanilla bean seeds. It is highly concentrated, with 1 teaspoon of paste equaling 1 whole vanilla bean. Sold in tubes or small jars from most supermarkets. The tart shell can be made a day ahead; keep refrigerated. The tart is best cooked on day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesToday 1:55am
- Easy Spanish paella recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy pastry twistsYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato Salad RecipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Brilliant broccoli recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheYesterday 1:59am
- Classic sconesYesterday 1:35am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020