Vegetable dumplings in broth
- 100 gram fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 green onions
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), chopped coarsely
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (60ml) japanese soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon chinese cooking wine
- 4 fresh coriander roots
- 1 teaspoon white (granulated) sugar
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 800 gram buk choy
- 1 (cm) piece fresh ginger (5g), extra, grated
- 1 clove garlic, extra, crushed
- 227 gram canned water chestnuts, drained, chopped finely
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup (15g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- 20 wonton or gow gee wrappers
- 100 gram enoki mushrooms, trimmed
Vegetable dumplings in broth
- 1Separate stems from caps of the shiitake mushrooms; reserve stems. Finely chop a quarter of the shiitake caps; slice remaining shiitake caps thinly. Coarsely chop white section of green onion. Thinly slice green section; reserve green section in small bowl.
- 2Combine shiitake mushroom stems, white section of green onion, brown onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, star anise, peppercorns, sauce, wine, coriander roots, sugar and the water in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Strain stock through muslin-lined sieve or colander into large heatproof bowl; discard solids. Return stock to same cleaned pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered.
- 3Meanwhile, separate bases and leaves of buk choy. Finely chop half of the bases; discard remaining bases. Combine chopped bases with finely chopped shiitake mushrooms, extra ginger, extra garlic, water chestnuts, egg white, breadcrumbs, coriander leaves and oyster sauce in large bowl. Make dumplings by placing 1 heaped teaspoon of the mushroom mixture in centre of a wonton wrapper; brush around edges with a little water. Fold wrapper in half diagonally; pinch edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining mushroom mixture and wrappers.
- 4Add sliced shiitake and enoki mushrooms to simmering stock; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add dumplings; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Stir in buk choy leaves.
- 5Divide soup among serving bowls; top with reserved sliced green onion.
Vegetarian oyster sauce can be found in most supermarkets and Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021