Vegetable dumplings in broth
- 100 gram fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 green onions
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), chopped coarsely
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (60ml) japanese soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon chinese cooking wine
- 4 fresh coriander roots
- 1 teaspoon white (granulated) sugar
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 800 gram buk choy
- 1 (cm) piece fresh ginger (5g), extra, grated
- 1 clove garlic, extra, crushed
- 227 gram canned water chestnuts, drained, chopped finely
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup (15g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- 20 wonton or gow gee wrappers
- 100 gram enoki mushrooms, trimmed
Vegetable dumplings in broth
- 1Separate stems from caps of the shiitake mushrooms; reserve stems. Finely chop a quarter of the shiitake caps; slice remaining shiitake caps thinly. Coarsely chop white section of green onion. Thinly slice green section; reserve green section in small bowl.
- 2Combine shiitake mushroom stems, white section of green onion, brown onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, star anise, peppercorns, sauce, wine, coriander roots, sugar and the water in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Strain stock through muslin-lined sieve or colander into large heatproof bowl; discard solids. Return stock to same cleaned pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered.
- 3Meanwhile, separate bases and leaves of buk choy. Finely chop half of the bases; discard remaining bases. Combine chopped bases with finely chopped shiitake mushrooms, extra ginger, extra garlic, water chestnuts, egg white, breadcrumbs, coriander leaves and oyster sauce in large bowl. Make dumplings by placing 1 heaped teaspoon of the mushroom mixture in centre of a wonton wrapper; brush around edges with a little water. Fold wrapper in half diagonally; pinch edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining mushroom mixture and wrappers.
- 4Add sliced shiitake and enoki mushrooms to simmering stock; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add dumplings; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Stir in buk choy leaves.
- 5Divide soup among serving bowls; top with reserved sliced green onion.
Vegetarian oyster sauce can be found in most supermarkets and Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019