- 8 slices pancetta (120g)
- 8 veal schnitzels (800g)
- 2/3 cup (100g) drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (55g) seeded green olives, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon drained baby capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 40 gram butter
- 2 cup (400g) arborio rice
- 1 cup (125g) frozen baby peas
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to moderate.
- 2Place one slice of pancetta on each schnitzel; divide tomato, olives, capers and marjoram between schnitzels.
- 3Roll schnitzels to enclose filling; tie with kitchen string to secure.
- 4Start making rice and peas. Place the water and stock in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered. Melt butter in large saucepan, add rice; stir until rice is coated in butter and slightly opaque. Stir in 1 cup of the hot stock mixture; cook, stirring, over low heat, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock mixture, in 1-cup batches, stirring until absorbed after each addition. Add peas with last cup of stock mixture; stir in cheese and parsley.
- 5Heat oil in large frying pan; cook braciole, uncovered, until browned all over. Place on oven tray; bake, uncovered, in moderate oven about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- 6Serve braciole with rice and peas.
The Italian veal cut known as braciole is similar to a schnitzel or scallop, a thinly sliced piece cut from the leg and fairly free of fat. In some parts of Italy, when a braciole is filled and rolled, it is known as an involtino. Whatever name it goes under, it must be browned quickly to avoid excessive shrinkage and toughness. Italian rice and peas ("risi e bisi") is a classic Venetian dish try making it with fresh baby peas.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020