- 8 slices pancetta (120g)
- 8 veal schnitzels (800g)
- 2/3 cup (100g) drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (55g) seeded green olives, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon drained baby capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 40 gram butter
- 2 cup (400g) arborio rice
- 1 cup (125g) frozen baby peas
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to moderate.
- 2Place one slice of pancetta on each schnitzel; divide tomato, olives, capers and marjoram between schnitzels.
- 3Roll schnitzels to enclose filling; tie with kitchen string to secure.
- 4Start making rice and peas. Place the water and stock in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered. Melt butter in large saucepan, add rice; stir until rice is coated in butter and slightly opaque. Stir in 1 cup of the hot stock mixture; cook, stirring, over low heat, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock mixture, in 1-cup batches, stirring until absorbed after each addition. Add peas with last cup of stock mixture; stir in cheese and parsley.
- 5Heat oil in large frying pan; cook braciole, uncovered, until browned all over. Place on oven tray; bake, uncovered, in moderate oven about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- 6Serve braciole with rice and peas.
The Italian veal cut known as braciole is similar to a schnitzel or scallop, a thinly sliced piece cut from the leg and fairly free of fat. In some parts of Italy, when a braciole is filled and rolled, it is known as an involtino. Whatever name it goes under, it must be browned quickly to avoid excessive shrinkage and toughness. Italian rice and peas ("risi e bisi") is a classic Venetian dish try making it with fresh baby peas.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021