- 600 gram firm tofu
- 2/3 cup (130g) white long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large red onion (300g), sliced thickly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 200 gram sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 350 gram baby bok choy, chopped lengthways
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Weight tofu between two boards; stand, tilted, for 10 minutes to remove excess liquid. Cut tofu into 2cm cubes; pat dry between layers of absorbent paper. Place tofu on baking-paper-lined oven trays. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 3Meanwhile, cook rice according to packet directions until tender.
- 4Heat oil in a wok over high heat; stir-fry onion, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add blended cornflour and soy sauce to wok with tofu, peas, buk choy, sugar, oyster sauce and mirin; stir-fry until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat, stir in coriander; serve with rice.
Buy the smallest baby buk choy you can find. You could also use gai lan or ta gho (available from Asian greengrocers). ‘Vegetarian oyster sauce’ is made from blended mushrooms and soy sauce. It is available from health-food stores and some supermarkets. Most supermarkets stock mirin. If you can't find it use sweet white wine or sherry, instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 6:37am
- 28 picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Spring rollsYesterday 1:55am
- Mixed berry muffinsYesterday 12:30am
- Almond caramel barsSep 23, 2021
- Sausage rollsSep 23, 2021
- Mussels in tomato sauceSep 23, 2021
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Our 23 best toastie recipesSep 23, 2021
- Thai spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Teriyaki chicken salad rollsSep 23, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2021
- TabboulehSep 23, 2021
- Greek salad lamb pitta pocketsSep 23, 2021
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertSep 23, 2021