- 600 gram firm tofu
- 2/3 cup (130g) white long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large red onion (300g), sliced thickly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 200 gram sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 350 gram baby bok choy, chopped lengthways
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Weight tofu between two boards; stand, tilted, for 10 minutes to remove excess liquid. Cut tofu into 2cm cubes; pat dry between layers of absorbent paper. Place tofu on baking-paper-lined oven trays. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 3Meanwhile, cook rice according to packet directions until tender.
- 4Heat oil in a wok over high heat; stir-fry onion, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add blended cornflour and soy sauce to wok with tofu, peas, buk choy, sugar, oyster sauce and mirin; stir-fry until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat, stir in coriander; serve with rice.
Buy the smallest baby buk choy you can find. You could also use gai lan or ta gho (available from Asian greengrocers). ‘Vegetarian oyster sauce’ is made from blended mushrooms and soy sauce. It is available from health-food stores and some supermarkets. Most supermarkets stock mirin. If you can't find it use sweet white wine or sherry, instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021