- 4 cleaned baby squid hoods (480g)
- 2 baby fennel bulbs (260g)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 x 5cm pieces orange rind
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 800 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 1 litre fish stock
- 1 kilogram large uncooked prawns (shrimp), peeled, deveined, with tails intact
- 200 gram pipis, scrubbed
- 250 gram small black mussels, scrubbed, beard removed
- 200 gram baby octopus, cleaned
- 2 tablespoon thin strips orange rind, extra
- 1Insert a large knife into a squid hood. Using a small sharp knife, cut 1cm-thick slices on one side of squid. Repeat with remaining hoods.
- 2Trim fennel; reserve fronds. Using a mandoline or V-slicer, cut fennel into very thin slices. Place fennel and juice in a small bowl; toss to coat.
- 3Heat oil in a large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 4Stir rind, chilli, saffron and wine into onion mixture; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- 5Add stock; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about a quarter.
- 6Add squid, prawns, pipis, mussels and octopus to pan. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until seafood is cooked.
- 7Serve stew topped with fennel mixture, reserved fennel fronds and extra rind.
Some mussels might not open – these may need to be opened with a knife, or might not have cooked as quickly as the others. Farmed mussels will not all open up during cooking, and some will not open after excessive cooking – you do not have to discard these, just open with a knife and cook a little more, if you wish.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022