Wonderfully tender and juicy, the slow-cooked pork is beautiful when glazed with a Chinese-style sauce and roasted for a weekend dinner.
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chinese cooking wine or medium dry sherry
- 1/3 cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 centimetre piece (25g) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 star anise
- 2 kilogram piece pork neck
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) water
- 1Combine cooking wine, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, oil and star anise in a medium jug. Place pork in a large dish, pour over half soy mixture, turn to coat pork. Reserve remaining soy mixture for serving. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning pork occasionally.
- 2Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 3Place pork on a wire rack over a baking dish, reserving marinade for basting. Pour measured water into the base of the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
- 4Place pork in the oven, reduce temperature to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and roast, 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove foil and roast for a further 1 hour or until pork is tender, brushing occasionally with reserved marinade.
- 5Remove pork from the dish, cover with foil and stand for 20 minutes before slicing.
- 6Meanwhile, heat the unused marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- 7Serve the pork slices drizzled with sauce. Serve with roasted kumara wedges, steamed Brussels sprouts and snow peas, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021