That classic combo of spinach and fetta go together so beautifully in this flaky vegetarian pie. With fresh spinach, marinated fetta and fragrant dill creates a delicious midweek dinner.
Looking for more spinach recipes?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion (300g), chopped finely
- 350 grams baby spinach leaves, trimmed
- 5 eggs
- 350 grams jar vegetarian marinated fetta in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill tips, plus extra to serve
- 12 sheets fillo pastry
- 125 grams butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly oil a 23cm springform cake pan.
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat; cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add spinach leaves; cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until just wilted. Season well. Cool slightly.
- 3Beat eggs in a medium bowl until combined; stir in spinach mixture, fetta and dill. Mash with a fork to combine.
- 4Place 1 sheet of fillo pastry on a clean surface, lightly brush with a little melted butter; top with another sheet of fillo. Repeat layering with another 2 fillo sheets, brushing between each sheet with butter. Ease fillo stack into springform pan, allowing edges to overhang. Repeat layering and brushing process with another 4 fillo sheets. Place second fillo stack in pan in the opposite direction, allowing edges to overhang.
- 5Carefully pour spinach mixture into pastry case. Brush any overhanging fillo with butter; neatly fold overhanging fillo over spinach mixture to enclose. Repeat layering process with remaining 4 fillo sheets, brushing with melted butter; scrunch the stack and place on top of the pie. Sprinkle with pepitas.
- 6Bake pie for 45 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes; transfer to a board. Cut pie into wedges, sprinkle with extra dill.
Cover fillo with a clean tea towel to prevent it from drying out while layering, pulling out only the sheets that you need at each stage.Refrigerate any leftover pie in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021