Southern fried chicken
- 8 small chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets, excess fat and skin trimmed
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) buttermilk
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
Southern fried chicken
- 1Combine the chicken, garlic and thyme in a large shallow dish. Pour over buttermilk. Cover, refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- 2Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Place a large wire rack over tray. Pour oil into a large deep heavy-based saucepan until 8-10cm deep. Heat over medium-high heat to 180°C, or, test the temperature with a wooden spoon handle – when the handle is placed into the centre of the pan, bubbles form around it. Combine the flour, paprika, onion salt, celery salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl; transfer mixture to a plastic bag.
- 3Remove chicken from marinade. Pat dry with paper towel. Add the drained chicken pieces, one at a time, to the spice mixture. Shake to coat in the spice mixture, then shake away any excess.
- 4Deep-fry the chicken pieces, in batches, for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon; transfer to the prepared wire rack.
- 5Bake the chicken for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 6Serve chicken with hot chilli sauce (or barbecue sauce for the kids) and coleslaw, if desired.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. Test Kitchen tip: For finger food, you can use chicken wing nibbles instead of thigh cutlets and drumsticks; reduce the cooking time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019