Beans are a great vegetarian dinner option, that are packed with protein and fibre, while also being very kind to your wallet. Jap pumpkins are a very sweet variety of squash, also known as kabocha, with an edible skin, and a short, squat shape.
- ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (170g), cut into wedges
- 350 grams (11 ounces) jap pumpkin, chopped
- 1.2 kilograms (2½ pounds) canned four-bean mix, drained, rinsed
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, chopped finely
- ¼ cup (50g) adobo sauce from canned chipotle chilli in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 700 grams (1½ pounds) tomato passata
- ¾ cup (90g) coarsely grated cheddar
- ⅓ cup (40g) coarsely grated smoked cheddar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 110g (3½ ounces) ciabatta rolls, halved
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat; cook onion and pumpkin, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until onion has softened slightly. Add beans, chickpeas, chilli, adobo sauce, honey, barbecue sauce and mustard; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in passata; bring to the boil. Boil for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly; season to taste.
- 3Sprinkle bean mixture with cheeses. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is browned lightly.
- 4Meanwhile, combine garlic and remaining oil in a small bowl; season. Brush garlic mixture over cut side of rolls. Place rolls on an oven tray; bake on a separate shelf with beans for 6 minutes or until golden.
- 5Serve baked beans with torn garlic bread
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker massaman beef curryToday 6:00am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 2:00am
- Eggplant parmigianaYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious stir-friesYesterday 2:00pm
- Low calorie recipes for the 5:2 Fasting DietYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast loin of porkYesterday 2:00pm
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 2:00pm
- Adorable mini cheesecakesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 filling ideas for cannelloniYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 sensational schnitzelsYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make the perfect roast lambYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy combination fried riceSep 18, 2020
- Lemon dessert recipesSep 18, 2020
- Luscious lemon cakeSep 18, 2020
- Vegetarian quiche recipesSep 18, 2020