- 1.8 kilogram fresh chicken, wings removed
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 whole lemon, cut in half
- 2.5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 cup water
- 1Create a double layer sheet of tinfoil, large enough to completely wrap the chicken. Don't worry about the overhang, or there being gaps in the foil.
- 2Place the chopped onions and whole chicken onto the tinfoil in a roasting pan, then place the two lemon halves into the chicken cavity together with the sprigs of rosemary.
- 3Cover the breast and legs with a coating of butter and overlap the strips of bacon neatly over the breast and thighs. Now gather up the sides of foil and bring together, creating a kind of envelope.
- 4Add 1 cup of water into the bottom of the roasting pan and place chicken into a preheated oven at 220C for 20 minutes. Then turn oven down to 165C to continue roasting for a further 1 hour.
- 5Remove chicken from oven and remove as much tinfoil as possible. Now baste the whole chicken well with the butter and roasting juices, then return to the oven to colour. Finish cooking for a further 20 to 25 minutes. Baste well every 10 minutes until golden.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022