- 1.2 kg (2½ pounds) boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 10cm (4-inch) chunks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium pomegranate (320g)
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thickly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 4 medium kale leaves (140g), trimmed, shredded coarsely
- ¼ cup (20g) flaked almonds, toasted
- 1Combine lamb with spices and chilli in a large bowl; season. Heat half the oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook lamb, in batches, turning, for 10 minutes, or until well browned. Remove from cooker.
- 2Meanwhile, cut whole pomegranate in half. Hold pomegranate, cut-side down over a sieve into a medium bowl and hit the back of the pomegranate with a wooden spoon to release the juice and seeds. Reserve ¼ cup (60ml) juice and ⅓ cup seeds separately. Refrigerate seeds until required.
- 3Heat remaining oil in cooker on sauté (MEDIUM) setting; cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in stock, maple syrup, molasses and reserved pomegranate juice. Return lamb to cooker; bring to the boil.
- 4Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 5Add kale to cooker; cook, covered, on high for 5 minutes or until kale is wilted. Season to taste.
- 6Serve lamb topped with reserved pomegranate seeds and almonds.
Serve lamb with steamed pearl couscous, quinoa or rice, and lemon wedges.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesToday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesToday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make classic chocolate brownies in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti marinaraYesterday 2:00pm
- Seafood chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020