- 60 gram butter
- 2 brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 500 gram beef chuck steak, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 750 gram beetroot, chopped finely
- 2 potatoes (400g), chopped finely
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped finely
- 4 tomatoes (360g), chopped finely
- 1 litre (4 cups) beef stock
- 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 4 cup (320g) finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1Melt half the butter in a large frying panover medium heat; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Transfer onion to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Melt remaining butter in same pan over medium-high heat; cook beef, stirring, until browned all over. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Add the water to same frying pan; bring to the boil, then add to slow cooker with beetroot, potato, carrot, tomato, stock, vinegar and bay leaves. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours.
- 3Discard bay leaves. Remove beef from soup; shred using two forks. Return beef to soup.
- 4Stir cabbage into soup; cook, covered, on high, about 20 minutes or until wilted. Stir in parsley. Season to taste.
- 5Serve soup topped with sour cream.
Recipe is suitable to freeze at the end of step 3. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator; reheat then continue from step 4.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022