- 2 wedges preserved lemon (see tips)
- 6 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken marylands (2kg)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 4 medium brown onions (600g), sliced thinly
- 150 gram pitted sicilian green olives
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Remove flesh from preserved lemon; discard flesh. Rinse rind well. Finely chop rind of 1 wedge; thinly slice rind of the other wedge. Refrigerate sliced rind until required. Combine chopped rind, garlic, spices and half the oil in a large bowl with chicken. Cover; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 3Combine saffron and the water in a small heatproof bowl.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a large roasting pan over medium heat; cook chicken, in batches, until browned both sides. Remove from pan.
- 5Cook onion in same pan for 5 minutes or until softened. Add saffron mixture; bring to the boil. Spread onion mixture evenly over base of dish; arrange chicken on top, in a single layer.
- 6Transfer pan to oven; roast chicken for 35 minutes. Add thinly sliced rind and olives; roast a further 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 7Just before serving chicken, top with coriander.
Only the rind of preserved lemon is used. Rinse the rind well before using. We used brine-cured sicilian olives for their lovely flavour and texture, but you could use kalamata olives instead.Serve with steamed Israeli couscous mixed with coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022