- 2/3 cup (160ml) tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 medium red onion (170g), halved, sliced thinly
- 1/2 medium red cabbage (750g), shredded finely
- 1/4 cup (20g) flaked almonds
- 450 gram can baby beetroot (beets)
- 3 cups (900g) shredded cooked chicken (see tip) (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, cut into short lengths
- 2 small radicchio (300g), cut into thin wedges
- 150 gram goat's cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1Whisk vinegar and sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add onion and cabbage; toss gently to coat. Stand 30 minutes to pickle slightly. Drain in a colander; discard excess dressing. Season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, stir almonds in a small frying pan over medium heat until lightly toasted.
- 3Cut larger pieces of beetroot into irregular shapes. Add beetroot to cabbage mixture with chicken and half the chives; toss gently to combine.
- 4Arrange radicchio on a serving platter; top with cabbage mixture, goat's cheese, almonds and remaining chives. Drizzle with oil.
Red cabbage is good both raw in salads and cooked lightly. Cook in a minimum of water to which an acid ingredient, such as lemon juice, apple, vinegar or wine, has been added. The acid component is needed because plain water can be alkaline, which turns red cabbage an awful blue-green colour.You will need to buy a large barbecued chicken weighing about 900g for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022