- 250 gram sliced hot pancetta, chopped coarsely
- 20 gram butter
- 800 gram beef chuck steak, chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (180ml) dry red wine
- 1 brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 1 carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 stick celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 10 gram dried porcini mushrooms
- 10 fresh sage leaves (10g)
- 1/3 cup (95g) tomato paste
- 3 cup (750ml) beef stock
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 2Cook pancetta in a heated large flameproof dish, stirring, until browned lightly.
- 3Add butter and beef to dish; cook, stirring, until beef is browned. Add wine; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 4Add onion, carrot and celery with mushrooms and sage; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add paste; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add stock; roast, covered, for 4 hours. Uncover dish; return to oven, roast for 30 minutes.
- 5Skim and discard excess fat from surface. Season to taste. Using two forks, shred meat coarsely.
- 6Serve bolognese topped with cheese and rind.
To freeze: complete the recipe to the end of step 5. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022