- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 500 gram peeled pumpkin, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 cup cream
- 50 gram creamy blue cheese, plus extra for crumbling
- baby spinach leaves, plus toasted pine nuts to serve
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onion and garlic over a low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant but not coloured.
- 2Add the risotto rice and cook for 1-2 minutes until well coated with oil and slightly toasted. Gradually add the stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring gently every few minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, par cook the pumpkin for 4-5 minutes in simmering salted water until just tender and drain.
- 4After the 3 cups of liquid have nearly been absorbed, add the pumpkin to the risotto. When the stock is nearly all absorbed, stir in the cream and blue cheese. Season to taste.
- 5Spoon into shallow bowls, then top with a few green leaves and pine nuts.
As a general rule, the risotto rice to stock or liquid ratio should be about 1: 3.5. Risotto is a great basic meal to master, then you can use your imagination to create many flavours. The combination of sweet pumpkin with the creamy blue cheese works well with this recipe and I top mine with a few fresh leaves or herbs. The toasted pine nuts are always a treat too! - Jo Wilcox
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020