- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 90 grams (3oz) butter
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 baby fennel bulb (130g), chopped finely, fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (60ml) frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 500 grams (1lb) shelled and deveined uncooked medium prawns (shrimp), tails intact (see tip)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Bring stock and the water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 60g (2oz) of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and fennel, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add wine; simmer for 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Add rice; stir to coat in mixture.
- 3Add 1 cup of the hot stock; cook, stirring gently, over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock in 1-cup batches, stirring, until stock is absorbed after each addition. Total cooking time should be 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peas and rind; season to taste.
- 4Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook prawns with garlic for 2 minutes or until prawns change colour.
- 5Serve risotto topped with prawns and reserved fennel fronds. Accompany with lemon wedges and scatter with baby sorrel leaves, if you like.
You can buy shelled and deveined prawns from your fishmonger or large supermarkets.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsNov 25, 2021
- Fresh apricot jamNov 25, 2021
- Honey and orange glazed hamNov 25, 2021
- 35 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit yoghurt cupcakesNov 25, 2021
- Bear clawsNov 25, 2021
- Five ingredient beef tacosNov 25, 2021
- Fruit mince swirl piesNov 25, 2021
- 20 beautiful biscotti recipesNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit and lemon butterNov 25, 2021
- Tandoori chicken with cucumber saladNov 25, 2021
- SkordaliaNov 25, 2021
- Seafood chowderNov 25, 2021
- Pistachio and cranberry biscottiNov 25, 2021
- How to make pork laksa with five ingredientsNov 25, 2021