Perfect for an after school snack, lunch box or finger food, these potato samosas are packed full of goodness and flavour. If you're lucky enough to have any leftover, they freeze beautifully.
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water, approximately vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 125 gram coliban potatoes, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 brown onion (40g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 fresh large green chilli, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon each coriander seeds and cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Place flour in medium bowl; rub in ghee. Add seeds; gradually stir in enough of the water to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, enclose with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes
- 2For the filling, boil, steam or microwave potato until just tender; drain. Mash half the potato in small bowl. Melt ghee in medium saucepan; cook onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, seeds and garam masala, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in coriander, juice and both mashed and chopped potato.
- 3Roll dough on floured surface until 3mm (¹/8-inch) thick. Using 8cm (3¼-inch) cutter, cut 28 rounds from dough. Place level teaspoons of cold filling in centre of each round; brush around edge of rounds with water, press together to enclose filling.
- 4Heat oil in large saucepan; deep-fry samosas, in batches, until browned and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
You could also use nicola or pink-eye potatoes for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021