- 15 centimetre (deep) round cake pan
- 2.25 litre (9-cup) pudding steamer
- 30 centimetre round cake board
- wooden toothpicks
- 440 gram packet butter cake mix
Chocolate butter cream
- 125 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 450 gram milk chocolate melts
- 50 gram milk chocolate melts, extra
- 1 1/2 x 190g packets smarties
- 50 gram packet gobstoppers
- assorted lollies (see tip)
- toy hammer
Piñata smash cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Make cake according to packet directions. Spread into pan until three-quarters full; bake about 45 minutes. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 3To make chocolate butter cream; beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, cocoa powder and milk, then remaining icing sugar.
- 4Secure cake on cake board with a little butter cream. Using ruler and toothpicks, mark an 11cm circle in centre of cake. Using markings as a guide, cut a deep hollow into cake with a small serrated knife.
- 5Spread butter cream all over cake; allow to set, then fill hollow with lollies.
- 6To make piñata shell; grease pudding steamer with oil; place in freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate; pour into steamer, swirl chocolate to coat inside of steamer evenly. Continue swirling until chocolate begins to set and stops flowing around steamer (keep chocolate a uniform thickness, particularly around the top edge). Stand until chocolate is almost set. Freeze until chocolate sets completely.
- 7Carefully place steamer with set piñata shell over cake; using a hot cloth, briefly rub outside of steamer; the piñata shell should slip from the bowl to enclose cake.
- 8Melt extra chocolate; secure Smarties and Gobstoppers to piñata shell with a little melted chocolate.
- 9Allow birthday child to break piñata shell open with toy hammer.
We used Fantales, party mix lollies, Kool Fruits, chocolate freckles, jelly beans, Smarties and Gobstoppers to fill and decorate this cake.