- 1 kilogram chopped beef bones
- 1 large_piece brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely
- 5 centimetre piece fresh ginger (25g), chopped coarsely
- 2.5 litre (10 cups) boiling water
- 6 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 200 gram rice stick noodles
- 250 gram beef eye fillet, sliced thinly
- 2 cup (160g) bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh vietnamese mint leaves
- 2 fresh long red chillies, sliced thinly
- 1Place bones, onion and ginger in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 2 hours.
- 2Add the water, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and coriander seeds. Cook, covered, on high, for 3 hours. Add sauce, juice and sugar. Strain cooking liquid through a muslin-lined sieve or linen tea towel; discard solids.
- 3Place noodles in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand for 15 minutes or until softened; drain.
- 4Divide noodles and beef between serving bowls. Ladle hot soup over noodles; sprinkled with sprouts, fresh herbs and chilli.
It's important to have the beef in thin slices, so the broth cooks the beef. When preparing the beef; place into the freezer for 20 minutes beforehand to firm it slightly (don't freeze it solid), this will make it easier to slice thinly. Pho (pronounced fur) is a simple Vietnamese soup, traditionally eaten at breakfast time. Bo means beef, this soup is reliant on the flavour of the beef bones and a good selection of spices.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022