- 1/4 cup (75g) tamarind puree
- 2 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sweet chilli sauce
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fish sauce
- 300 gram dried rice stick noodles
- 16 (500g) uncooked medium prawns
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 fresh small red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 250 gram minced pork
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (80g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly, white and green parts separated
- 1/4 cup (35g) coarsely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Combine tamarind, sugar and sauces in a small bowl.
- 2Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Stand for about 5 minutes, or until just tender; drain.
- 3Shell, devein prawns, leaving tails intact.
- 4Blend garlic, chilli, shrimp and ginger in a food processor until a paste forms.
- 5Heat oil in a large wok or large frying pan; stir-fry garlic paste until fragrant. Add pork; stir-fry until just cooked through. Add prawns; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add egg; stir-fry until egg just sets. Add noodles, tamarind mixture, sprouts and white part of the green onion; stir-fry, tossing gently to combine.
- 6Remove wok from heat, add remaining green onion with peanuts and coriander. Serve with lime wedges.
Tamarind adds tang and is available as a thick paste and puree, but if unavailable, add the equivalent quantity in lime juice at the end of cooking. Dried shrimp are tiny dehydrated prawns. Used in their entirety, they add depth of flavour, but can be omitted, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Coconut riceNov 29, 2021