- 1 kilogram gravy beef
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400 gram can cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 gram button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 kilogram floury potatoes, peeled cut into large pieces
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 30 gram butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1Cut the beef into 3cm pieces. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, until browned, transferring to a plate as it is cooked.
- 2Add the onion and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring for a few minutes or until softened.
- 3Add the beef, tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer; cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Add the mushrooms and continue to simmer for a further hour, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Boil the potatoes until cooked through. Drain and allow the potatoes to dry off.
- 6In a saucepan, heat the milk until just before boiling, add the potatoes and butter, and gently mash together. Add the parmesan and stir to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and ground white pepper.
- 7Serve the Beef Stew with the Parmesan Mash and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020