- 12 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 clove garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/2 fresh red chilli, sliced finely
- 2 anchovy fillets, sliced thinly
- 6 black or green olives, stone in
- extra virgin olive oil
- 5 baby octopuses
- 1 tablespoon baby capers, rinsed
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 200 gram linguine
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, to serve (optional)
- 1Crush olives with the palm of your hand, pull out the stones, then tear the flesh in half.
- 2Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat; add the octopuses, tomatoes, garlic, chilli, anchovies, olives,capers and most of the whole parsley leaves (it may look like a lot but they will shrink down to half the size). Cover and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes, or until reduced and smelling good.
- 3When the sauce is nearly ready, cook the linguine in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
- 4Reserving some of the cooking water, drain the linguine and add to the sauce. Toss well over heat, until lovely and glossy, adding a splash of the cooking water to loosen, if needed.
- 5Very finely slice the reserved parsely leaves. Season the pasta to taste with salt and pepper; serve with a drizzle of oil, a scattering of the remaining parsley and a lemon wedge, if you like.
Octopus is delicious – as it shrinks, it lets out all the lovely flavours of the sea. The Pasta Book by Gennaro Contaldo is published by Penguin Random House in Jamie’s Food Tube Books series, $19.99 © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Ltd (2015 The Pasta Book) Photographer: David Loftus
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019