- 1.5 kilogram (3 pounds) boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2cm (¾-inch) cubes
- 5 centimetre (2-inch) piece fresh ginger (25g), grated finely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 fresh red bird's-eye chillies, chopped finely
- 1 cup (280g) greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 3 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) ghee (clarified butter) or butter
- 1 cup (140g) flaked almonds
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 3 large_piece brown onions (600g), sliced thickly
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 500 gram (1 pound) basmati rice, rinsed large pinch saffron threads
- 2 tablespoon hot milk
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, extra
- 1Combine lamb, ginger, garlic, chilli, yoghurt, coriander, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- 2Heat half the ghee in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat; fry almonds and sultanas until browned lightly. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- 3Heat remaining ghee in same pan over medium heat; cook onion, covered, 5 minutes or until soft. Remove lid; cook another 5 minutes or until onion is browned lightly. Remove half the onion from pan.
- 4Add lamb mixture to pan; cook, stirring, until lamb is browned lightly. Add the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Remove lid; simmer, uncovered, a further 30 minutes or until lamb is tender. Season to taste.
- 5Meanwhile, cook rice in a saucepan of boiling, salted water 5 minutes or until half-cooked; drain.
- 6Combine saffron and milk in a small bowl; stand 15 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF.
- 8Spread half the lamb mixture in an oiled 3.5-litre (14-cup) ovenproof dish; top with half the rice, then remaining lamb and rice. Drizzle saffron milk mixture over rice; cover tightly with oiled foil and lid. Bake 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 9Serve biryani topped with reheated reserved onion, almond mixture and extra coriander.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022