- 600 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into thick straps
- ¼ cup (60ml) peanut oil
- 1 medium red onion (170g), cut into 6 wedges
- ½ small cabbage (600g), chopped
- 450 g microwave long-grain white rice (see tips)
- 3 green onions (scallions), cut into long thin strips
- 1 medium carrot (120g), cut into long thin strips (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, toasted (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds, toasted (see tips)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1Make sesame chilli sauce. Pour half the sauce over the chicken in a medium bowl; mix well to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on a heated barbecue flat plate or wok over medium-high heat. Cook onion and cabbage, in two batches, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Heat another tablespoon of the oil on the flat plate; add undrained chicken; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Add remaining sauce and oil, rice, half the green onion, then the cabbage mixture; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- 4Serve rice mixture topped with remaining green onion and carrot; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 5Combine all the ingredients in a small jug.
You can cook 1⅓ cups raw rice, if you prefer. Rice is best cooked a day ahead; spread out on trays to cool, then cover and refrigerate. You can use a julienne peeler to cut the carrot into long thin strips. Black sesame seeds are available from specialty stores and Asian supermarkets; however, you can use all white sesame seeds, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021