- 1 cup (160g) fine burghul
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 625 gram (1¼ pounds) minced (ground) lamb
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander
- 3 piece preserved lemon rind
- 1 large pomegranate (430g)
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes (450g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 125 gram (4 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled coarsely
- 1Combine burghul and the water in medium bowl; stand 2 hours. Drain.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Oil 20cm x 30cm (8 inch x 12 inch) pan.
- 3To make kibbeh, combine burghul with lamb, onion and spices; season. Spread lamb mixture into pan; smooth top. Bake about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- 4Meanwhile, remove and discard flesh from preserved lemons. Rinse rind well then slice thinly. Remove seeds from pomegranate.
- 5Combine rind in medium bowl with tomato and herbs. Drizzle with combined oil and lemon juice.
- 6Cut kibbeh into six squares, cut each square into two triangles, place on plates; top with tomato mixture, sprinkle with feta and pomegranate seeds.
To remove the seeds from pomegranate, cut it in half crossways and hold each half cut-side down over a bowl. Hit the outside skin of the fruit sharply with a wooden spoon as hard as you can the seeds should fall out if they don't, dig them out with a teaspoon. Burghul is made from whole wheat kernels, which are steamed, dried and toasted before cracking into several distinct sizes, so they develop a rich, nutty flavour. Because it is already partially cooked, burghul only requires minimal cooking. Cracked wheat, on the other hand, is raw whole wheat.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019