- 1 cup (200g) dried chickpeas
- 30 gram butter
- 600 gram trimmed lamb shoulder, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium (300g) brown onions, chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grounder ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cup (1l) beef stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (100g) dried brown/green lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1Place chickpeas in a medium bowl, cover with cold water; stand overnight. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2Melt butter in large heavy based saucepan over a high heat, add the lamb, onions and garlic; cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes or until browned lightly. Season with salt. Add spices, cook stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in drained chickpeas, cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the beef stock and 1litre (4 cups) of water to the pan, bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Using a large metal spoon or paper towel remove and discard the scum from the surface of the soup.
- 5Stir in tomatoes and lentils, simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- 6Add flour to a cup or small bowl. Gradually stir in ¼ cup (60ml) cold water, mix to a smooth paste. Gradually stir the flour paste into the soup. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until soup has thickened.
- 7Just before serving stir in lemon juice and coriander.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021