These and other delicious gluten-free recipes are available in our book Gluten Free Baking.
- 250 grams (8oz) cold butter, chopped
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1¼ cups (225g) white rice flour
- 1½ cups (200g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cups (60g) almond meal
- ¹⁄³ cup (55g) gluten-free icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease two oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter and caster sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until just combined; gradually beat in the combined sifted flours, almond meal, icing sugar and xanthan gum until mixture starts to come together.
- 3Turn dough onto a lightly rice-floured surface; knead until just smooth.
- 4Divide dough into two portions. Shape portions into 18cm (7¼in) rounds on trays; mark into wedges, then prick with a fork. Pinch a decorative edge with floured fingers. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- 5Bake shortbread for 45 minutes or until pale golden. Cool shortbread rounds on trays. Cut with a sharp knife when cold.
Shortbread can be made a month ahead; store in an airtight container.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Boston baked beansToday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesToday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesYesterday 11:12pm
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustYesterday 10:43pm
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesYesterday 9:00pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast stuffed mushroomsYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato samosasYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast and brunch recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Banana pancakes with butterscotch sauceYesterday 1:00pm