These and other delicious gluten-free recipes are available in our book Gluten Free Baking.
- 250 grams (8oz) cold butter, chopped
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1¼ cups (225g) white rice flour
- 1½ cups (200g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cups (60g) almond meal
- ¹⁄³ cup (55g) gluten-free icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease two oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter and caster sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until just combined; gradually beat in the combined sifted flours, almond meal, icing sugar and xanthan gum until mixture starts to come together.
- 3Turn dough onto a lightly rice-floured surface; knead until just smooth.
- 4Divide dough into two portions. Shape portions into 18cm (7¼in) rounds on trays; mark into wedges, then prick with a fork. Pinch a decorative edge with floured fingers. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- 5Bake shortbread for 45 minutes or until pale golden. Cool shortbread rounds on trays. Cut with a sharp knife when cold.
Shortbread can be made a month ahead; store in an airtight container.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022