- 1 batch pizza dough (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, sliced
- fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1/4 cup parmesan, finely grated or shredded
- sea salt, to season
- 1 sachet (8g) instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 350 millilitre lukewarm water
- 500 gram plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C fan bake. Divide the dough in half and roll or shape into a rough rectangle or oblong.
- 2Let sit for 5 minutes, then make gentle indents across the top with your fingertips.
- 3Combine the oil, garlic and herbs and spoon over the dough, letting some settle into the indents. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve warm in slices.
- 4In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and salt and mix well, then add the water and set aside for 10 minutes until the mixture is frothy and bubbling.
- 5Place flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre, add a quarter of the yeast liquid at a time, mixing with your fingers until the mixture is sticky and clumps together.
- 6Transfer to a lightly-floured surface and knead the dough with your hands for 5-8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pliable (you may need to add a little extra flour or water).
- 7Place the dough back into a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 8Remove the tea towel and knock back or punch the dough a few times to release the air, then let rise again for 30 minutes before using.
This bread has so many uses. Serve it with soup or instead of sandwich bread. Use to mop up the juices of a curry or casserole, on antipasto platters or served hot from the oven with pre-dinner drinks. You can add extra toppings such as sliced olives, sun-dried tomatoes or red onion to suit your occasion.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperToday 12:41am
- Protein and bliss ballsYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free dessertsMar 27, 2020
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 26, 2020
- The best Italian recipesMar 26, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 26, 2020
- RatatouilleMar 26, 2020
- Quince pasteMar 26, 2020
- Classic recipe for chocolate mousseMar 25, 2020
- Osso buccoMar 25, 2020
- Apple crumbleMar 25, 2020
- Ginger sticky date puddingMar 25, 2020
- Delicious recipes to try in your Air FryerMar 25, 2020
- Easy baking recipesMar 25, 2020
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesMar 25, 2020