- 500 grams ready-made thick vanilla custard
- 1/3 cup dark rum (80mL)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (75g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 small gelatine leaves (10g)
- 380 grams unfilled chocolate sponge cake
- 300 mL thickened cream
- bamboo skewers
- 1 cup dark chocolate Melts, melted (150g)
- 2 teaspoons chocolate sprinkles or gold and silver cachous
rum butterscotch sauce
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (220g)
- 300 mL thickened cream
- 50 gram butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1Place half the custard, the rum, sugar, vanilla and spices in a medium saucepan. bring to the boil, whicking until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- 2Place gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water. Stand for 5 minutes or until softened. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to hot custard mixture; stir until dissolved. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl; whisk in remaining custard. Stand for 5 minutes or until cool.
- 3Grease a deep 15cm round cake pan; line base and side with two layers of baking paper, extending the paper 5cm above the edge of the pan. Cut each cake in half; reserve trimmings until required. Place one cake layer in the base of the pan.
- 4Beat cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until medium peaks form. Fold whipped cream and custard together. Working quickly, pour one cup of custard cream over cake in pan; top with another cake layer. Repeat layering with remaining cake layers and custard cream, finishing with custard cream over the top. Use a small palette knife to level surface. Tap pan on the bench to remove air bubbles. COver; refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 5Meanwhile make rum butterscotch sauce
- 6Place skewers on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Place chocolate in a paper piping bag. Snip off the end of piping bag with scissors. Pipe tree shapes halfway up the skewers; decorate with sprinkles or cachous. Freeze chocolate until firm.
- 7Remove cake carefully from pan. Insert trees into cake; crumble some of the reserved cake trimmings around the tree trunks. Serve cake with rum butterscotch sauce.
Rum butterscotch sauce
- 8Combine ingredients in a small heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cool; refrigerate until cold and thick.
If the sauce has separated, stir well to bring it back together before serving. Make ahead: Cake and sauce can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Stand cake and sauce at room temperature for 45 minutes before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Baked rice custardToday 5:26am
- Slow-cooked beef ragu with pappardelleToday 2:21am
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Slow cooker bean bourgignonYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker veal rolls (involtini) with prosciutto and sageYesterday 2:00pm
- Spinach gozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- 45 comforting custard dessertsYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Ragù alla bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomato, chilli and fettaYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am