- 8 uncooked medium king prawns (360g)
- 400 gram medium black mussels
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken thigh fillets (400g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium_piece red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white short-grain rice
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 4 baby squid hoods (360g), sliced thinly
- 2 medium_piece tomatoes (300g), seeded, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact. Scrub mussels; remove beards.
- 2Heat half the oil in large deep frying pan or 46cm paella pan; cook chicken until browned. Remove from pan. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic, paprika and saffron, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in rice.
- 3Add stock to pan; bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stir in chicken; cook 3 minutes.
- 4Scatter prawns, mussels and squid evenly over rice mixture, cover with a domed lid or foil; simmer about 5 minutes, stirring once, or until prawns are cooked and mussels have opened (discard any that do not).
- 5Remove paella from heat, scatter with tomato and parsley. Stand, covered, 5 minutes before serving.
We used carnaroli risotto rice for this recipe as it holds its shape very well. If you can't find it, or it's not available, use arborio rice. A large wok lid makes a good cover for the pan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsToday 12:54am
- Easter bunny cakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019