- 8 uncooked medium king prawns (360g)
- 400 gram medium black mussels
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken thigh fillets (400g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium_piece red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white short-grain rice
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 4 baby squid hoods (360g), sliced thinly
- 2 medium_piece tomatoes (300g), seeded, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact. Scrub mussels; remove beards.
- 2Heat half the oil in large deep frying pan or 46cm paella pan; cook chicken until browned. Remove from pan. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic, paprika and saffron, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in rice.
- 3Add stock to pan; bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stir in chicken; cook 3 minutes.
- 4Scatter prawns, mussels and squid evenly over rice mixture, cover with a domed lid or foil; simmer about 5 minutes, stirring once, or until prawns are cooked and mussels have opened (discard any that do not).
- 5Remove paella from heat, scatter with tomato and parsley. Stand, covered, 5 minutes before serving.
We used carnaroli risotto rice for this recipe as it holds its shape very well. If you can't find it, or it's not available, use arborio rice. A large wok lid makes a good cover for the pan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019