- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1.5 kg (3lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- ½ cup (50g) walnuts, roasted, chopped
- 100 g (3oz) persian fetta, crumbled
- 1Toast seeds in a small dry frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Using a mortar and pestle or small blender, pound or blend to a powder. Place 1 teaspoon of the spice mix and 1 teaspoon of the coffee in a small bowl; reserve for serving. Add remaining coffee and the brown sugar to the remaining spice mix; season.
- 2Rub spice mix over beef in a large bowl. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Oil a medium roasting pan. Place beef and stock in pan; cover with foil. Roast beef for 5 hours, turning pan halfway through cooking, or until beef is very tender; beef should be falling apart and easy to shred with two forks.
- 4Meanwhile, combine juice, salt and caster sugar in a small bowl, add onion; mix well. Stand for 10 minutes; drain.
- 5Slice and coarsely shred brisket. Sprinkle with reserved spice mix and top with pickled onions, walnuts and fetta; serve.
Due to the coffee, expect the spice rub to be very dark once roasted; however, it will not taste burnt.Serve it Serve with shake and bake wedges (page 68), or one of the mashes on page 28, or pickles and a green salad. Leftover brisket makes a delicious sandwich filling with smoky hot or barbecue sauce.Store it The rub can be made in a large quantity and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Caramelised onion and cheddar pull-apartApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Spinach and paneer curryYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Spanish pork and chorizo soupYesterday 2:00pm