- 300 gram dark eating chocolate
- 30 gram butter, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 300 millilitre thickened cream, softly whipped, plus extra to serve
- 1In a medium heatproof bowl, melt 200g of the chocolate over a medium pan of simmering water (don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl). Remove bowl from heat. Add butter and stir until smooth. Fold in egg yolks. Transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- 2In a small bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold cream into chocolate mixture and then egg whites in two batches.
- 3Divide mousse among serving dishes; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- 4To make chocolate curls, melt remaining chocolate and spread evenly over a cold surface such as a flat oven tray, or laminated benchtop. Leave to set almost to room temperature. Drag a melon baller or knife evenly across the surface of the chocolate.
- 5Serve chocolate mousse with extra whipped cream and chocolate curls.