- 120 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
- 1½ cups (240g) coconut sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut oil
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, beaten lightly
- ½ cup (60g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 cups (300g) coarsely grated fresh beetroot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups (160g) quinoa flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 250 grams marscapone
- ¼ cup (60ml) pure maple syrup
Caramelised baby beets
- 3 baby beetroot (beets)(75g)
- ½ cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Place chocolate, coconut sugar and coconut oil in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let base of bowl touch the water); stir for 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from pan; stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in eggs, almond meal, beetroot and vanilla.
- 3Sift flour, cacao powder, baking powder and mixed spice into a medium bowl. Gently fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon mixture into pan; level the surface.
- 4Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a few crumbs cling to a skewer when inserted into the centre of cake. Leave cake in pan for 15 minutes; turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make caramelised baby beets.
- 6Combine mascarpone and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Spread over cooled cake. Top with caramelised baby beets and some of the syrup.
Caramelised baby beets
- 7Cut each beetroot into six wedges. Combine sugar and the water in a medium frying pan; stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Add beetroot wedges; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until beetroot is tender.
You will need 2 large beetroot for the cake. Uniced cake improves in flavour and texture the day after it is made. It can be made up to 4 days ahead; store in an airtight container.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021