- 2 brown onions (300g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 4 centimetre piece fresh ginger (20g), grated
- 2 chicken marylands (700g)
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cup (750ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Place onion, garlic, carrot, celery, chilli, ginger, chicken, curry powder, cumin, garam masala and stock in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 2Carefully remove chicken from the cooker; discard the skin and bones. Shred meat coarsely using two forks.
- 3Skim fat from the surface of the vegetable mixture. Blend or process vegetable mixture until smooth. Return chicken to the pan with the coconut milk; stir to combine. Ladle soup into serving bowls; sprinkle with coriander to serve, and drizzle with extra coconut milk, if you like.
Garam masala is a blend of spices including cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, fennel and cumin, that are roasted and ground together. Black pepper and chilli can be added for a hotter version.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019