- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cured chorizo sausages (340g), sliced thinly
- 500 gram chicken thigh fillets, chopped coarsely
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 red capsicum (200g), chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon cajun spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (200g) white long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) chicken stock
- 500 gram fresh okra, halved diagonally
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1Heat oil in a 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; cook chorizo, stirring, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 2Cook chicken in cooker, in batches, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 3Cook brown onion, capsicum, celery and garlic in cooker, stirring, until vegetables soften. Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add rice; stir to coat in onion mixture. Return chicken and chorizo to cooker with paste, tomatoes, stock and okra; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 10 minutes.
- 4Release pressure using the quick release method (see below); remove lid. Season to taste. Serve gumbo sprinkled with green onion.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check the manufacturer's instructions before using. Quick release method: Each time the lid is removed from the cooker, the pressure must be released quickly first. Use tongs (steam can burn your fingers) to turn the pressure valve on top of the cooker to open the valve and release the steam. We use this method when adding ingredients and when checking the food toward the end of cooking time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021