- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cured chorizo sausages (340g), sliced thinly
- 500 gram chicken thigh fillets, chopped coarsely
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 red capsicum (200g), chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon cajun spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (200g) white long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) chicken stock
- 500 gram fresh okra, halved diagonally
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1Heat oil in a 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; cook chorizo, stirring, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 2Cook chicken in cooker, in batches, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 3Cook brown onion, capsicum, celery and garlic in cooker, stirring, until vegetables soften. Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add rice; stir to coat in onion mixture. Return chicken and chorizo to cooker with paste, tomatoes, stock and okra; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 10 minutes.
- 4Release pressure using the quick release method (see below); remove lid. Season to taste. Serve gumbo sprinkled with green onion.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check the manufacturer's instructions before using. Quick release method: Each time the lid is removed from the cooker, the pressure must be released quickly first. Use tongs (steam can burn your fingers) to turn the pressure valve on top of the cooker to open the valve and release the steam. We use this method when adding ingredients and when checking the food toward the end of cooking time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019