For more of these recipes head into store and pick up a copy of this month's issue The Australian Women's Weekly FOOD magazine. On sale now! Available in supermarkets and selected newsagents and online.
- 1 small cauliflower (1kg)
- 2½ cups (625ml) milk
- 50 g butter
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 1½ cups (180g) coarsely grated cheddar
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- 2Cut the leaves and large stem from the cauliflower and throw them away. Break the cauliflower into florets. Place the cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 9 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender when tested with a fork or skewer.
- 3Place milk in a small microwave-safe jug; heat in the microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 30 seconds or until hot.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium saucepan on the stove over medium heat until melted. Add the flour; stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes a smooth paste. Pour the hot milk in slowly, a little at a time, and stir until the mixture is smooth before adding more milk. Stir the mixture over medium to high heat until it boils and becomes thick.
- 5Take the pan off the heat and add ½ cup of the cheese; stir the sauce until it is smooth. Add the nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Place the cauliflower in a 1.25 litre (5 cup) dish; pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place the dish on an oven tray.
- 7Place the tray in the oven; bake for about 30 minutes or until golden. Stand for 10 minutes before sprinkling with parsley to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022