- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) korma curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 gram (12 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 250 gram (8 ounces) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2/3 cup (190g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, ginger and sugar, stirring, until soft. Add paste and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- 2Add canned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, the water, coconut milk, lentils and chickpeas to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- 3Meanwhile, to make chutney yoghurt; swirl ingredients together in a small bowl.
- 4Serve dhal topped with coriander and dollops of chutney yoghurt.
Our dhal recipe deliberately makes double the amount you will eat so you aren’t left with half-opened cans. Instead you will be able to take the following night off cooking, or take the leftovers to work for lunch. Chutney yoghurt is not suitable to freeze. Pack in a separate airtight container if taking to work. Freeze individual portions of dhal in airtight containers for up to 1 month. Thaw the dhal overnight in the fridge. If taking the dhal to work, reheat thawed dhal in the microwave at work.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeYesterday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019