- 395 grams canned sweetened condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 20 grams unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
- 300 ml thickened (heavy) cream, whipped
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C.
- 2Pour condensed milk in a shallow baking dish; cover with foil. Place in larger baking dish; add enough boiling water to larger dish to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake 1¼ hours or until condensed milk is golden brown. Cool to room temperature. Whisk caramel until smooth.
- 3Reduce oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease two deep 23cm (9-inch) round cake pans.
- 4Beat eggs and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer 10 minutes or until thick and creamy; transfer to a large bowl. Sift flour twice onto baking paper, then sift over egg mixture; fold flour, then combined butter and the boiling water into egg mixture. Spoon mixture into pans.
- 5Bake about 20 minutes. Immediately turn sponges onto baking-paper-covered wire racks to cool.
- 6Place one sponge on serving plate; spread with half the cream, drizzle with half the caramel. Top with remaining sponge, cream and caramel.
Unfilled sponges are suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020