- 1 kilogram beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion (80g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), grated
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 x 10cm sticks fresh lemon grass, halved crossways
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 150 gram snake beans, chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (105g) crushed peanuts
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh vietnamese mint leaves
- 1Cut beef into 3cm pieces. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan; cook beef, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic and ginger until onion softens.
- 3Return beef to pan with sauces, sugar, five-spice, lemon grass and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 1¼ hours or until beef is tender. Discard lemon grass. Add beans and ½ cup of the nuts; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- 4Serve beef, sprinkled with remaining nuts and mint leaves.
To freeze: complete the recipe to the end of step 3. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlYesterday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsYesterday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesJul 05, 2020
- Silverside frittersJul 05, 2020
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyJul 05, 2020
- Perfect pumpkin recipesJul 05, 2020
- Pumpkin pieJul 05, 2020
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020