Cook up an extra batch of these patties; once cooled, freeze between freezer paper for up to 1 month.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup firmly packed chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
- 1 small beetroot (100g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (125g) canned black beans
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 4 sesame seed bread rolls (360g)
- ⅓ cup (95g) tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup (95g) american mustard
- 2 medium tomatoes (300g), sliced
- 12 sliced bread and butter pickles
- 1 cup (60g) shredded cos lettuce
Sweet potato curly fries
- 1 kg orange sweet potatoes
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1Heat half the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 2Process onion mixture, parsley, beetroot, black beans, breadcrumbs and flaxseed meal until the mixture comes together but still retains some texture. Shape mixture into four 9cm patties.
- 3Make sweet potato curly fries.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and heated through. (Char patties slightly if you want a traditional char-grilled taste.)
- 5Preheat grill to high. Place rolls, cut-side up, on an oven tray. Place under grill for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 6Spread tomato sauce and mustard on base of rolls; top with patties, tomato, pickles and lettuce, then roll tops. Serve burgers with curly fries.
Sweet potato curly fries
- 7Using a spiraliser, cut sweet potatoes into long curly spirals. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds). Fry potato curls, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined tray; season with salt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsNov 25, 2021
- Fresh apricot jamNov 25, 2021
- Honey and orange glazed hamNov 25, 2021
- 35 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit yoghurt cupcakesNov 25, 2021
- Bear clawsNov 25, 2021
- Five ingredient beef tacosNov 25, 2021
- Fruit mince swirl piesNov 25, 2021
- 20 beautiful biscotti recipesNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit and lemon butterNov 25, 2021
- Tandoori chicken with cucumber saladNov 25, 2021
- SkordaliaNov 25, 2021
- Seafood chowderNov 25, 2021
- Pistachio and cranberry biscottiNov 25, 2021
- How to make pork laksa with five ingredientsNov 25, 2021