Cook up an extra batch of these patties; once cooled, freeze between freezer paper for up to 1 month.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup firmly packed chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
- 1 small beetroot (100g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (125g) canned black beans
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 4 sesame seed bread rolls (360g)
- ⅓ cup (95g) tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup (95g) american mustard
- 2 medium tomatoes (300g), sliced
- 12 sliced bread and butter pickles
- 1 cup (60g) shredded cos lettuce
Sweet potato curly fries
- 1 kg orange sweet potatoes
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1Heat half the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 2Process onion mixture, parsley, beetroot, black beans, breadcrumbs and flaxseed meal until the mixture comes together but still retains some texture. Shape mixture into four 9cm patties.
- 3Make sweet potato curly fries.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and heated through. (Char patties slightly if you want a traditional char-grilled taste.)
- 5Preheat grill to high. Place rolls, cut-side up, on an oven tray. Place under grill for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 6Spread tomato sauce and mustard on base of rolls; top with patties, tomato, pickles and lettuce, then roll tops. Serve burgers with curly fries.
Sweet potato curly fries
- 7Using a spiraliser, cut sweet potatoes into long curly spirals. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds). Fry potato curls, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined tray; season with salt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm