- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cm (4-inch) stick fresh lemon grass (20g), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 3 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm (2-inch) pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh micro herbs, to serve
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly, to serve
- 1Process coconut, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, brown onion and oil until smooth.
- 2Heat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook paste, stirring, for 5 minutes or until well toasted and fragrant. Add beef; cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours. Season.
- 4Serve rendang topped with micro herbs and green onion.
Accompany with flatbread or steamed rice mixed with red lentils.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019