- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cm (4-inch) stick fresh lemon grass (20g), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 3 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm (2-inch) pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh micro herbs, to serve
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly, to serve
- 1Process coconut, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, brown onion and oil until smooth.
- 2Heat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook paste, stirring, for 5 minutes or until well toasted and fragrant. Add beef; cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours. Season.
- 4Serve rendang topped with micro herbs and green onion.
Accompany with flatbread or steamed rice mixed with red lentils.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Red lentil and pumpkin wrapsToday 1:44am
- 30 quick and easy recipesYesterday 11:46pm
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019