- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cm (4-inch) stick fresh lemon grass (20g), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 3 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm (2-inch) pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh micro herbs, to serve
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly, to serve
- 1Process coconut, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, brown onion and oil until smooth.
- 2Heat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook paste, stirring, for 5 minutes or until well toasted and fragrant. Add beef; cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours. Season.
- 4Serve rendang topped with micro herbs and green onion.
Accompany with flatbread or steamed rice mixed with red lentils.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021