- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cm (4-inch) stick fresh lemon grass (20g), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 3 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm (2-inch) pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh micro herbs, to serve
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly, to serve
- 1Process coconut, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, brown onion and oil until smooth.
- 2Heat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook paste, stirring, for 5 minutes or until well toasted and fragrant. Add beef; cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours. Season.
- 4Serve rendang topped with micro herbs and green onion.
Accompany with flatbread or steamed rice mixed with red lentils.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021