- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cm (4-inch) stick fresh lemon grass (20g), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 3 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm (2-inch) pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh micro herbs, to serve
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly, to serve
- 1Process coconut, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, brown onion and oil until smooth.
- 2Heat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting; cook paste, stirring, for 5 minutes or until well toasted and fragrant. Add beef; cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours. Season.
- 4Serve rendang topped with micro herbs and green onion.
Accompany with flatbread or steamed rice mixed with red lentils.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingJun 02, 2020
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingJun 02, 2020
- Jam roll puddingJun 02, 2020
- Hungarian goulashJun 02, 2020
- Tasty tagine recipesJun 02, 2020
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 02, 2020
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020
- Pumpkin sconesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020