- 5 punnets strawberries, washed, hulled, halved
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 kilogram sugar
- 2 tablespoon citrus pectin (use 1 tablespoon for every litre of jam to be set)
- 100 millilitre 100ml water
- 1In a large bowl, combine strawberries and lemon juice. Pour on 3/4 of the sugar and set aside 3-4 hours or overnight to macerate.
- 2Combine remaining sugar with pectin and mix well (this will prevent the pectin from clumping).
- 3Transfer strawberry mixture to a large non-reactive pot. Add water and stir to combine. Sprinkle over pectin sugar mixture and continue stirring until completely incorporated.
- 4Bring mixture to a slow boil. Stir occasionally and cook 20-25 minutes, skimming toward the end of cooking time to remove any impurities, until fruit collapses and jam reaches the jelling point. Test for gelling point toward the end of the cooking time, then remove from heat.
- 5Meanwhile, choose appropriate jam jars with lids and sterilise in simmering water for 10 minutes. Remove jars from water with tongs, drain and fill with finished jam. Clean jar rim with a clean cloth dipped in boiling water.
- 6Secure sterilised lids, return sealed jam jars to simmering water in the upright position (it may help to place a tea towel in the bottom of the pot to prevent jars from bouncing around) and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- 7Remove simmering pot from heat and cool jars in sterilising water bath.
To test for jelling point, place a small plate in the fridge or freezer and chill. Take a spoonful of the cooking jam and dollop onto the chilled plate. Refrigerate for 2-3 minutes, then push a spoon, or your finger, through the chilled sample. If the sample forms a distinct skin and wrinkles as it is pushed, then the jelling point has been reached. Sealed jam jars can be stacked in the dishwasher and cycled through once, without detergent, to finalise the sterilising process.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022