- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 20 gram butter, melted
- oil, for deep-frying
- 12 cocktail frankfurts
- 12 wooden skewers
- tomato sauce (ketchup), to serve
- 1Sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl. Season to taste. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Gradually whisk in combined buttermilk, egg and butter, until smooth. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium-sized, deep saucepan (test oil by dropping a small piece of bread into the oil. If it sizzles immediately, the oil is ready).
- 3When oil is ready, dip 2-3 frankfurts into batter, draining off excess. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes, turning, until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- 4Thread each pluto pup onto a wooden skewer. Continue with remaining frankfurts and batter. Serve pluto pups with tomato sauce, for dipping.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021