- 600g (1¼lb) chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed, cut into quarters
½ cup (135g) butter chicken
⅔ cup (190g) greek yoghurt
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons olive oil
¾ cup (210g) tomato puree
¼ cup (60ml) pouring cream
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
12 roti pieces (375g) (see tips)
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1Combine chicken, curry paste, yoghurt, garam masala and garlic in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken mixture; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato puree; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Stir in cream and coriander; simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste. Cool.
- 3Lightly grease and preheat a 4-hole (¾-cup/180ml) pie maker.
- 4Line prepared holes with two roti squares, overlapping slightly; trim hard edges with scissors. Spoon ⅔ cup butter chicken into each roti case. Top with roti squares; press edges firmly to seal. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Close lid; cook for
8 minutes or until roti is golden.
Before using the roti, flatten the bread with a rolling pin. You can use garlic naan instead if you prefer. To make these in a smaller pie maker, see page 7 for information on how much filling they hold, then adjust accordingly. Butter chicken will keep frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021