- 600g (1¼lb) chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed, cut into quarters
½ cup (135g) butter chicken
⅔ cup (190g) greek yoghurt
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons olive oil
¾ cup (210g) tomato puree
¼ cup (60ml) pouring cream
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
12 roti pieces (375g) (see tips)
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1Combine chicken, curry paste, yoghurt, garam masala and garlic in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken mixture; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato puree; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Stir in cream and coriander; simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste. Cool.
- 3Lightly grease and preheat a 4-hole (¾-cup/180ml) pie maker.
- 4Line prepared holes with two roti squares, overlapping slightly; trim hard edges with scissors. Spoon ⅔ cup butter chicken into each roti case. Top with roti squares; press edges firmly to seal. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Close lid; cook for
8 minutes or until roti is golden.
Before using the roti, flatten the bread with a rolling pin. You can use garlic naan instead if you prefer. To make these in a smaller pie maker, see page 7 for information on how much filling they hold, then adjust accordingly. Butter chicken will keep frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Santa Claus Christmas ice-cream cakeToday 4:33am
- Nutty choc-chip boiled fruit cakesToday 12:51am
- Rum and raisin shortbreadToday 12:48am
- Rice-cooker bibimbapToday 12:29am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- 25 rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesYesterday 1:00pm
- Aussie meat piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Melt-in-the-mouth eggnog shortbreadsYesterday 1:00pm
- Everything you need to know about the Air FryerYesterday 1:00pm
- Teriyaki poke bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 Christmas recipes that will surprise your guestsYesterday 1:00pm
- Rudolph the reindeer cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- 14 sensational Christmas shortbread variationsYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerYesterday 1:00pm