- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (300g) medium onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 kilogram masoor dal (red lentils), washed, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped coarsely
- 5 cup chicken stock
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to season
- 1 lemon, juiced, plus rind, chopped
- 1 (80g) small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 hot green chilli, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat ¾ of the oil; sauté onions over low heat, for about 3 minutes, or until they soften.
- 2Add cinnamon, lentils and ginger; stir for 10 minutes.
- 3Add stock and water; bring to the boil. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Add juice and rind; reduce heat, cook for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, to ensure it doesn't stick to base of the pan.
- 4In a small frying pan, heat remaining oil; cook onion, garlic, chilli and bay leaves for about 2 minutes, or until onion is browning.
- 5Add mixture to lentils, garnish with coriander leaves. Serve.
Clockwise from top left: lemon lentils; spiced potatoes, cauliflower and peas; tomato lamb curry; Ishmael’s egg salad
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Pumpkin sconesToday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesToday 2:00pm
- Custard tartToday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020