- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks (1.2kg)
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped coarsely
- 5 centimetre (2-inch) piece fresh ginger (25g), grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 fresh long green chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan; cook chicken, turning, until browned all over. Place chicken in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Meanwhile, process onion, ginger, spices, chilli, pepper, garlic, thyme and remaining oil until finely chopped. Add sugar, vinegar and juice; process until smooth. Pour paste over chicken. Cook, covered, on low, for 4 hours. Season to taste.
- 3Serve chicken with sauce; sprinkle with extra thyme, if you like.
To freeze; complete the recipe to the end of step 2. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021