- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 2 fresh small red thai chillies, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 green capsicum (200g), chopped finely
- 100 gram leg ham, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes (260g), seeded, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (60g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1Break eggs in large bowl, whisk lightly; whisk in sour cream and chilli.
- 2Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan; cook onion and capsicum, stirring, until onion softens. Place onion mixture in medium bowl with ham, tomato and cheese; toss to combine.
- 3Pour 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into same oiled frying pan; cook, tilting pan, over low heat until almost set. Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of the filling over half of the omelette; using spatula, fold omelette over to completely cover the filling.
- 4Pour 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into empty half of pan; cook over low heat until almost set. Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of the filling over folded omelette, fold omelette over top of first omelette to cover filling. Repeat twice more, using ¼ cup of the egg mixture each time, to form one large layered omelette. Carefully slide omelette onto plate; cover to keep warm.
- 5Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make second omelette, using remaining egg and filling. Cut each denver omelette in half to serve.
This omelette is called a "western" in most states east of the Mississippi River and a "denver" in the western half of the United States. Its origins are based more on folklore than fact, but it's believed to have been an Americanisation of the classic egg foo yung served by Chinese cooks to the work gangs building the east-to-west-coast railway link in the 1840s.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladJan 14, 2021
- Grilled vegetable and ricotta stackJan 14, 2021
- Lemon sliceJan 14, 2021
- Acai breakfast bowlJan 14, 2021
- LabneJan 14, 2021
- Classic mashed potatoesJan 14, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpJan 14, 2021
- Canned tuna recipesJan 14, 2021
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamJan 14, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceJan 14, 2021
- Baba ghanoushJan 13, 2021
- Mince and rice stuffed capsicumsJan 13, 2021
- The ultimate collection of tasty dipsJan 13, 2021
- ShortbreadJan 13, 2021