Creamy chicken pie
- 1.6 kilogram whole chicken
- 6 parsley stalks
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 445 gram sour cream shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 80 gram butter
- 1 medium (350g) leek, chopped finely
- 1 stick (150g) celery, sliced
- 3 cobs corn, kernels removed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 sheet puff pastry
Creamy chicken pie
- 1Place chicken, parsley stalks and lemon juice in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover chicken. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour; remove from heat. When cool enough, transfer chicken to a plate. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- 2Meanwhile, line base and sides of a lightly greased oval (1.25 litre/5 cup) ovenproof dish with sour cream pastry; trim. Prick base with a fork. Cover with baking paper; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 4Put the chilled pastry case in the oven; bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; brush with beaten egg. Return to oven for a further 5 minutes.
- 5Remove the flesh from the chicken and coarsely chop. Discard skin and bones.
- 6Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan. Add leek, celery and corn; cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and any liquid from corn has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add reserved stock and cream; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat and stir in chicken, pepper, herbs and lemon rind. Remove from heat; season with sea salt, to taste.
- 7Spoon chicken filling into pie case. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg. Top with the puff pastry. Decorate with any off-cuts and brush with egg.
- 8Reduce oven temperature to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Bake for 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 5:37am
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Best edible Christmas giftsYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect roast potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020
- Raspberry and almond trifleNov 20, 2020
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 20, 2020
- Iced vovo sliceNov 19, 2020
- Christmas pudding ice-cream bombesNov 19, 2020
- Banana smoothieNov 19, 2020
- Honeycomb and hazelnut frozen parfait puddingNov 19, 2020
- How to make preserved lemonsNov 19, 2020