- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 1/3 cup (100g) shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- 20 uncooked king prawns, shelled, de-veined, tails left intact
Classic dipping sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 clove garlic, sliced finely
- 1 long red chilli, sliced finely
Lemon dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Coconut prawns with two dipping sauces
- 1To make classic dipping sauce, combine the fish sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar and sugar in a small bowl, mixing until the sugar has dissolved. Add the garlic and chilli.
- 2To make lemon dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3Whisk egg whites in a bowl until light and fluffy. Put flour and coconut onto two separate plates. Heat a deep pan or wok and add oil.
- 4While the oil is heating, toss one prawn in the flour, dip it into the egg whites and roll it in the coconut. Set it to one side. Repeat with the remaining prawns.
- 5Once the oil is hot enough (drop a coconut shred into the oil and it should sizzle), carefully lower the prawns into the oil in batches of five. When the coconut has turned light brown on one side, turn the prawns over and cook until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove the prawns and drain them on paper towel. Serve with the two dipping sauces.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best Italian recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon chicken casseroleYesterday 1:00pm
- 29 American-style diner recipes for weekend entertainingYesterday 6:23am
- Cinnamon doughnutsYesterday 4:17am
- Chicken cacciatoreYesterday 3:00am
- Chilli jamYesterday 2:14am
- Garlic breadYesterday 1:00am
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allYesterday 12:51am
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeYesterday 12:39am
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJan 18, 2022
- Quinoa zucchini haloumi burgersJan 18, 2022
- BaklavaJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate hazelnut sliceJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate fudge browniesJan 18, 2022